Terrorism Hysteria on the Net

Dale Drew ddrew at mci.net
Tue Jun 11 02:11:10 PDT 1996

At 07:21 PM 6/10/96 -0500, snow wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, John Young wrote:

>> "You bring me a select group of hackers and within 90 days I'll bring this
>> country to its knees, " says Jim Settle, retired director of the FBI's
>> computer crime squad.
>
>	Give me 15 well trained soldiers(near special forces level) and I
>can do it in less than 60 days. Without touching a computer.

To understand where "They" think they are coming from, you have to compare
Apples-to-Apples.  The concern is the medium of choice; the Internet and it's
high availability of anonymity, coupled with its access to large amounts of
computer systems available via one virtual channel.

A well orchestrated and well researched attack by the right folk, as the thought
process goes, could in-fact, potentially affect large amounts of critical
computer systems within a short period of time. And while the government
has inroads available to identify potential physical terrorists threats,
they do not feel as prepared for the virtual ones.

Dale Drew                                MCI Telecommunications
Manager                                    internetMCI Security
                                                    Engineering
Voice:  703/715-7058                    Internet: ddrew at mci.net
Fax:    703/715-7066                MCIMAIL: Dale_Drew/644-3335