Terrorism Hysteria on the Net

snow snow at smoke.suba.com
Tue Jun 11 00:11:22 PDT 1996

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, John Young wrote:

> Today's USA has a pair of front page stories:
> "Feds ready anti-terror cyberteam" and "Terrorism on the Net -- Post-Cold
> War hysteria or a national threat?"
> They lay out the nightmares and the valiant TLA-daydreams to out-fund the
> hackers and out-flummox the public.
> "You bring me a select group of hackers and within 90 days I'll bring this
> country to its knees, " says Jim Settle, retired director of the FBI's
> computer crime squad.

	Give me 15 well trained soldiers(near special forces level) and I
can do it in less than 60 days. Without touching a computer.

	There was a blue print published by Omni Magazine in the mid to
late 80's written by Henry Kissinger (IIRC).

	Give me 15 McVey's with the ability to follow orders and I'll have
this country in chaos in 2 weeks.

	It isn't that hard, it is just that almost everyone prefers the
current system to total death & destruction chaos that follows a strong
government collapsing. Society holds itself together in large part not
because of the rule of law, but becaue most people want it to.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro at suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow at crash.suba.com