FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Thu Jun 6 23:33:51 PDT 1996

At 07:54 PM 6/6/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>However, recall that Senator Jesse Helms elliptically threatened President
>Clinton by saying that Clinton had probably better be wearing a
>bullet-proof vest if he ever visited Helms' part of the country. (Even the
>Republicans were shocked by this, and, I surmise, cast Helms into the outer
>darkness, as Helms has been keeping a low profile for the past 18 months.)

However, Helms is a politician and he's supposed to be on his best behavior.
 (What Helms' "best behavior" is, is certainly debateable.)

>* Third, while I am bored with Bell's "single note" point of view ("I have
>a solution for this")

Bored?  You're bored?  Maybe I'm going to have to figure out something to
spice it up, huh?  By the time everybody is as bored as you are today, then
I will have won.

>and while I feel his "assassination politics" is both naive

"naive"?  In what way?

> and derivative,

Technically, it wasn't derived from anything directly, or for that matter
even indirectly.  However, since there's nothing new under the sun,
similarities exist...with your material as well.  Consider this a bow to
you, I suppose.

> I don't think his advocacy of AP constitutes a direct threat to anyone.

Even so, given how much noise we've been hearing out of DC on the subject
of the Internet, digital cash, and good encryption, I'd say SOMEBODY is
getting a bit worried.  I haven't exactly been keeping this stuff a secret:
What do you think their reaction has been, so far?  When those
government-types start considering various scary scenarios, what do you
think they are imagining?

>He is not actually setting up the betting markets which
>would make AP more of a reality,

Not quite yet, anyway.  I'm very disappointed to have waited over a year for
some slick lawyer to show me how I'd be violating some law or another to do so.

>nor is he calling for the killing of any particilar persons.

I generally don't feel the need to name specific people.  I'm sure each
reader has his own pet list to fall back on.

>* Fourth, merely discussing alternative political systems is not enough to
>trigger legal action, at least not today.

Wait a year or two.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com