Markoff in NYT on NTT/RSA chip

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Thu Jun 6 03:00:01 PDT 1996

At 09:33 PM 6/5/96 -0000, nelson at crynwr.com wrote:
>David Lesher writes:
>
> > So Motorboatarola puts chips in the domestic MTSO's.
> > For the international ones, they leave the chips out.
>
>Crypto hooks, or more properly, crypto pads.

This raises a question:  If you provide a place for a crypto chip but don't
install it, shouldn't you be able to export it?  But the software analogy,
crypto hooks, the government is trying to restrict them.  This is why I
think the latter interpretation is flawed:  Historically, the mere fact that
a system can interface to another one that can do crypto can't be used to
restrict it.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com