On the Hill: Child Porn "Morphing"

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Thu Jun 6 01:05:11 PDT 1996

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Jeffrey A Nimmo wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Black Unicorn wrote:
>

> > Hearings on the hill over the child pornographer horseman:
> >
> > "Morphing" seems to be the latest buzzword for putting childrens faces on
> > the bodies of adult models in sexually explicit poses and seems to have
> > attracted enough attention to warrant congressional attention.
> >
> > Interesting that the media is playing this up as a "net" deal.  (As if
> > somehow it were impossible to do without the all powerful and evil internet.
>
> I've heard of this kind of thing before. Individuals have already been
> sent to jail for doing this, as well as doing and
> distributing kiddie porn drawings.

I know indirectly of two state supreme courts that have overturned such
convictions.

> I suspect that since it's already illegal on the state level, that
> Congress is looking into making it a federal crime to distribute them
> over state lines via the Internet.

See above.
As to federal crime, I believe so.

> > I'd like to see exactly how they word the proposed prohibitons.  What
> > constitutes "child" when the face painted on is pure artistry?  Will we
> > see a simple and strict prohibition over modifiying sexually explicit
> > pictures to make them appear to be of younger models (whatever their
> > apparent age may be)?  Will we see a subjective test as to what is "child
> > looking" enough?
>
> It only has to give the impression of being under the age of consent in
> order to be illegal. No real models have to be involved.

Ok, what is "the impression of being under the age of consent" ?

> > Silliness.  All silliness.
>
> That's debatable. However, in this politically correct environment, I
> wouldn't even give the impression of siding with the pedophiles if I were
> you.

That's what nyms are for.

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn at schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell at pacifier.com