C++

Wei Dai weidai at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 5 00:09:29 PDT 1996

> [As an aside, when I attempted to compile Wai Dei's crypto lib 2.0 with the
> Symantec Project Manager C++ compilers, none of the 3 would compile it.
> The one which generated the fewest errors had "internal error" on two
> modules.  This problem occurs because C++ is such a large language, with a
> number of obscure features which compiler writers don't always handle.  In
> addition, C++ is in no way machine independent.  The simplest example is
> that sizeof(int) is machine dependent.]

It's true that C++ is large and has many features, some obscure.  But the
fact is most of those features are actually very useful.  I suspect many
experienced C++ programmers do not like Java even though Java looks a lot
like C++ because they are so used to having those features in C++.  Take a
look at Victor's earlier post on this subject.

Portability is certainly one of the big problems of C++.  But it can be
done and should become easier in the future as the compilers standarize.
If anyone has trouble compiling Crypto++, please send me a report so I can
help you figure out workarounds.  Also, send bug reports to the compiler
company if you think there are bugs in the compiler.

Wei Dai