whitehouse web incident, viva la web revolution

Vladimir Z. Nuri vznuri at netcom.com
Tue Jun 4 22:40:16 PDT 1996

here's an interesting message about a white house aide pressuring
HotWired to change their link pointing to a rant page about Clinton.

it reminds me of a recent court decision in which a school tried
to shut down a student's web page that he had done on his own
time and referred to his school and other teachers.

it used to be, "freedom of the presses only belongs to those who
own a press". actually this still is, except now it only costs
$20/mo to own a worldwide "cyberspace press" via web pages.

hence what we get are interesting new social situations reminiscent
of the tension that surrounded Martin Luther's posting of the 99
theses in the middle ages. you have people who had controlled
the situation suddenly put off balance by a new medium.

the power of information dissemination is rather significant,
and the web is the most sophisticated information dissemination
technology ever invented by man. I expect it to have very far-reaching
social ramifications. we have barely scratched the surface..

cpunks are very interested in things like anonymity to save
oneself from the government. another approach is to simply
crow-bar the government in any way you can, whenever possible,
to make it better serve your interests. web pages have this
intrinsic power-- they're like a subtle, invisible crow bar that can
influence the world via public opinion. could there be a day
when nobody sees a need to hide from a government, because it
is so uninvasive?