S/MIME key sizes

Raph Levien raph at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 4 17:59:30 PDT 1996

Lucky Green wrote:

> At 15:58 6/3/96, Raph Levien wrote:
>
> >   Basically, an exportable S/MIME client can transmit messages up to
> >1024/40 bit RSA/RC2 (or RSA/DES), and receive messages up to 512/64 bit
> >RSA/RC2 (or RSA/DES, but in the latter case I would imagine it's actually
> >restricted to 512/56 because of the keysize of DES). Note that the
> >asymmetry actually points in different directions for the public and
> >symmetric keysizes.
>
> What will be the maximum keysize for a domestic encryption client? It it is
> larger than 1024 bits, there will be interoperability problems with foreign
> clients. If the domestic client is limited to 1024 bits, it would set a bad
> precedence, since it would effectively require that the encryption key is
> smaller than the largest signature key.

   There is no restriction on non-export keysize, as far as I know. Of
course, if you do use a key larger than 1024 bits, then export clients
can not encrypt to you. I don't consider this to be a serious
limitation. I'd far rather see an error message of "cannot encrypt to
client - your software is crippled" than "encrypting to recipient with
super-duper 40-bit cipher". The more crippled the export version appears
to be, the more pressure there is to upgrade to a non-export version.

   I object to the word "domestic" to refer to non-crippled encryption
programs. I use "non-export" because that seems least likely to cause
confusion. Keep in mind that clients developed outside the US are also
non-crippled. The word "domestic" seems to unfairly exclude them.

Raph