Why PGP isn't so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

Joel McNamara joelm at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 3 22:38:14 PDT 1996

Well for crypto-novices that use Windows, I'm hoping life will get a whole
lot easier.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the next release of Private Idaho
(http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/pi.html).  Aside from some new "power-user"
options (working with Lance to support a DOS version of Mixmaster), the next
release is going to be targeted at all those folks who are intimidated by
PGP.  This includes features like an auto-install app, expert and novice
modes, and a series of wizards for stepping the user through common tasks
(I'm sure the name "wizards" is trademarked by MS, so they won't be called
that).  Also included will be something called PGP QuickStart.  This utility
will hand-hold a user through the entire process of downloading PGP from the
Net, and installing and configuring it.

I just wrote an essay for one of the on-line magazines on "unintentional
crypto-elitism."  One of my points was that decent crypto technology is now
in place, and one of the next evolutionary steps towards wide-scale
acceptance is implementing simple and easy user interfaces.  Developers of
public domain and commercial crypto apps really need to take this to heart.

Joel

BTW - I'm guessing Private Idaho version 2.7 will be available within the
next two weeks.  Send me e-mail (joelm at eskimo.com) with PI_LIST as the
subject to get on the notification list (people on the list will be able to
download about a week or so before it goes into wide-scale release).