Saw this on CNN: Anonymous Stock tips over IRC as bad???

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Mon Jun 3 18:05:22 PDT 1996

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Jeff Barber wrote:

> Perry E. Metzger writes:
>
> > Timothy C. May writes:
>
> > > And, how can someone who acts on overheard information--as in the elevator
> > > example Sandy cited--be charged with any crime? Unless they are "insiders,"
> > > covered by SEC rules about trading, they are free to act on essentially
> > > anything they hear.
> >
> > No, I'm afraid they aren't. Under the rules, if you have nonpublic
> > information, even if you are not a corporate officer, you are an
> > insider for purposes of "insider trading" and your trades are illegal.
>
> > > (To elaborate on this: I was never classified as an "insider" during my
> > > time at Intel, and I certainly bought and sold the stock based on what
> > > products and news I knew was coming out or what rumors I'd heard. Only a
> > > select group of executives and staff in the specific departments generating
> > > earnings announcements, auditing, etc., were covered.
> >
> > Only they were covered by the rules that require registration of all
> > trades, you mean. You are completely confusing two uses of the word
> > "insider".
>
> IANAL, but I think you must be wrong about this, Perry.  If this were
> the case then, as an employee of company XYZ, I would never be permitted
> to buy XYZ stock (which is clearly not the case) since I *always* have
> information that others outside the company do not (about staff changes,
> product plans and such).  I suspect the deciding factor must have to do
> with the ability to execute actions which have substantial direct effects
> on the stock price (i.e. buying a company, declaring dividends, having a
> massive downsizing, etc.).

Incorrect.
The deciding factor is the court's determiniation of whether the
information was "material non-public information."  As the question of
materiality is vague, subjective and subject to whim, even a low level
employee is risking time and fines.  Often materiality has exactly zero
to do with what effect it may have on stock price.

There is a simple solution to avoiding liability.  Don't trade in your
own company's stock.

You make the case that it is somehow shocking to think that an employee
wouldn't be able to buy stock in their employer.  Such restrictions have
existed for decades.  Why are you so stunned?

> -- Jeff

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn at schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell at pacifier.com