Security of PGP if Secret Key Available?

Henry Huang hwh6k at fulton.seas.virginia.edu
Mon Jun 3 15:59:42 PDT 1996

On Jun 3,  2:36, "Robert A. Hayden" wrote:
> However, I got to wondering about the security of PGP assuming somebody
> trying to read my PGPed stuff has my 1024-bit secret key.  ie, if I have
> it on my personal computer, and somebody gets my secret key, how much
> less robust has PGP just become, and what are appropriate and reasonable
> steps to take to protect this weakness?

If someone else has your secret key, it's safe to assume you're toast. ;)
Better a new key and revocation certificate before the forgeries start
(or before someone ELSE does before you ... <shudder>).

More specifically, if you've failed to assign a passphrase to your
secret key, you ARE toast, because anyone can just pick it up and use
it.

If you did use a passphrase, it becomes a question of breaking either
the passphrase, or the IDEA algorithm used to encrypt your secret key.
It's usually a lot easier to break the passphrase than it is to brute
force IDEA.

See the PGP Passphrase FAQ
(http://www.stack.urc.tue.nl/~galactus/remailers/passphrase-faq.html)
and Arnold Reinhold's page (http://world.std.com/~reinhold/papers.html)