Java Crypto API questions

Kevin Jessup kevin.jessup at mail.mei.com
Mon Jun 3 12:30:09 PDT 1996

Jeff Weinstein <jsw at netscape.com> wrote...

>  Not likely.  Sun will probably be required to agree not to do this
>as a condition of exporting software with "pluggable crypto".  Software
>with hooks for crypto functions is treated the same as the actual crypto
>as far as the ITAR is concerned.
>
>	--Jeff

Just WHAT is a "hook" for crypto??  ;-) I've read about the
Microsoft crypto API, other such hooks and the "ban on
hooks", but who says a "hook" must be so "generic".

With things such as the "component object model" stuff
Microsoft is pushing and similar technologies in the UNIX
world, I can still see "hooking" to crypto.  Though perhaps
more on an application-specific basis and not so "generically".

I acknowledge that crypto which is nearly "invisible" to the
end-user will make it more widespread, and thus the need
for a generic API.

Politicians and technology: like oil and water.

--                             "Rest enough for the individual man - [but] too
Kevin Jessup                   much or too soon and we call it Death.  But for
software engineer                  MAN, no rest and no ending.  He must go on,
Marquette Medical Systems           conquest beyond conquest...and when he has
http://www.mei.com               conquered all the depths of space and all the
PGP Email preferred            mysteries of time, still he will be beginning."
kevin.jessup at meipws.mis.mei.com               -- H.G. Wells, Things To Come