opinions on book "The Truth Machine"

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Mon Jun 3 01:20:13 PDT 1996

At 12:14 AM 6/3/96, Adam Back wrote:
>Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote:
>> At 11:53 AM 6/1/96, Adam Back wrote:
>> >Tim May <tcmay at got.net> wrote:
>> [...] Maybe the "make.money.fast" description was a poor one...what I meant
>> to imply is that the book is being advertised widely (I've seen half a
>> dozen announcements of it),
>
>Ah .. I misunderstood, the ad is being spammed.  We have a truly awful
>news feed which gets around 2 weeks of lag, at time of posting that
>was the only one I'd seen.

And I thought my newsfeed was bad!

Do an Alta Vista (or DejaNews, etc.) search of "The Truth Machine" and
you'll find about 300 articles on Usenet about it.

However, about 95% of them are from jhalpe at ix.netcom.com, the author of
this media event novel or from ivypress at ix.netcom.com, his vanity
publisher.

(Actually, maybe Ivy Press is not a vanity publisher. Maybe Ivy Press is
what might me dubbed a "Cantwell and Siegel publisher.")

And the groups this was posted to....mama mia! This is why I was irked that
this spam was leaking into the Cypherpunks group as well.

But no harm done, and it demonstrates another example of how the Net is
being used for such advertising. Imminent death of the Net predicted--news
at 11.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!