A Libertine Question

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Jul 31 19:58:19 PDT 1996

At 06:34 PM 7/31/96 -0400, John Brothers wrote:
>Apparently Mr. Horowitz is one of the tiresome "legalize everything that
doesn't
>offend me, ban everything else" libertarians.   Here's a clue to a true
>libertarian thought process:
>    You offend me, Mr. Horowitz.  Your attitude by itself is enough to make
>my throat clench in distaste, but the fact that you call yourself a
>libertarian is exceptionally galling.  From your e-mail, you show no
>understanding of what
>it means to be a libertarian, and libertarians are extremely ill-served by
>your preposterous claims.  But I will defend to the death your right to make
>them.

I think we should all just try and get along. <G>

Since there are no "public places" in a free society, none of this comes up
because everyone will be in places were they are welcome.  There will be
many more kinds of places than the two ("public" and "private") we have now.
Some will be wide open and some will be highly restricted with all
gradations in between.

DCF