Photo IDs (Re: A Libertine Question)

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Wed Jul 31 17:51:04 PDT 1996

At 8:09 PM 7/31/96, William Knowles wrote:

>What about one of those camouflage passports from Britsh Honduras
>that they sell in the back of the Robb Report for $300?
>
>I personally doubt that your basic $4.75 an hour airport security
>guard knows about that.

All of the I.D. checks I have received have been at the ticket counter, to
receive my boarding pass. The airport security guards have never asked me
for any form of I.D., picture or otherwise.

(As has been commented upon by many analysts, it's likely that the airline
companies are enforcing the picture I.D. rule so as to stop the practice of
people buying discount tickets and then selling them to others.
Specifically, many corporations buy tickets in advance of knowing who the
actual business traveller will be. The airlines are causing many who arrive
at the ticket counter to "upgrade" to a full-fare ticket under their real
name.)

The "security" implications are a joke. More pablum fed to the gullible.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!