FPGAs and Heat (Re: Paranoid Musings)

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Wed Jul 31 12:49:27 PDT 1996

At 02:14 AM 7/31/96 -0800, Jim McCoy wrote:

>The interconnection problem has also been solved in this chip series. [A
>long-standing problem with FPGAs is that there were generally a limited
>amount of "wires" running between the logic elements and thus a lot of cells
>were wasted because there were no interconnections left, I/O to the outside
>world was also a problem.]  The chip has a really cool interconnection method
>which allows a much more efficient use of the chip real estate and which
>makes the entire chip directly addresable (like regular RAM) through an
>on-chip interface module.  Given the relatively compact design in Ian and
>Dave's paper and the new chips one might even fit two or four cracking
>engines on a single FPGA.

However, I think it very unlikely that an organization like the NSA would
bother with an FPGA to do a cracking engine.  FPGA's have substantial
limitations, as you alluded to above, due to the need to make them "general
purpose."  A non-field programmable Gate Array, a hard-wired chip, would
tend to optimize the interconnections on chip including minimizing the
delays, but not incur the full-custom costs such as the penalty for low volume.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com