Reuter on P8 Anti-Terrorism

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Jul 30 20:41:59 PDT 1996

   G7, Russia adopt anti-terror pact, avoid sanctions
   Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:00:07 PDT

   PARIS (Reuter) - The world's major powers closed ranks to
   combat terrorism Tuesday, urging other nations to join
   forces with them but sidestepping a dispute over U.S.
   demands for sanctions against what Washington calls
   "terrorist states."

   Foreign and security ministers from the Group of Seven
   industrial nations and Russia approved a list of 25
   measures to defeat terrorists around the globe.

   "We will not stop in this united effort until those
   responsible are brought to justice," U.S. Attorney General
   Janet Reno told a news conference after the five-hour
   meeting of the so-called P8 nations -- P being for
   political.

   The package included pledges to reinforce police
   cooperation and training, share intelligence, ease
   extradition and legal assistance, dry up sources of funding
   and weapons and strengthen national anti-terrorism
   legislation.

   The ministers also vowed to prevent extremists from using
   the Internet computer network to plan attacks and spread
   bomb-making instructions.

   Participants heard Canadian Foreign Minister Lloyd Axworthy
   recount how his 11-year-old son had shown him where to find
   such content on the Internet.

   French Foreign Minister Herve de Charette said the meeting
   had achieved its two objectives, "to adopt concrete
   measures and to send a very clear signal to the
   international community and to public opinion that the
   leaders of the P8 are strongly determined to act
   shoulder-to-shoulder, hand-in-hand."

   Under-Secretary of State Peter Tarnoff said the U.S.
   delegation had not raised President Clinton's contentious
   call for "strong sanctions" against four states he says
   support terrorism -- Iran, Iraq, Libya and Sudan.

   France, Japan, Britain and Germany all made clear they
   would not accept U.S. legislation to punish foreign firms
   that dealt with such countries.

   "We did not discuss country-specific cases ... We recognize
   the fact that some of legislation passed in the United
   States recently has encountered opposition among our
   trading partners," Tarnoff said.

   French Interior Minister Jean-Louis Debre, who co-chaired
   the meeting, said before it began: "The American analysis
   is a bit simplistic and a bit outdated. If we look at the
   phenomenon of terrorism today, we can see that it's more
   complex."

   He cited the bomb attack that killed two people and wounded
   110 at the Atlanta Olympic Games last Saturday as evidence
   of what he called "home-grown terrorism" without outside
   help.

   State-sponsored and extreme-left terrorism were largely a
   thing of the past, and the international community now
   faced two virulent new forms -- regionalist extremism and
   religious militancy -- which did not have state support,
   Debre said.

   The United States offered extra proposals to tighten
   airport security and mark explosives chemically so bombers
   can be more easily traced, which the other countries
   accepted.

   Axworthy voiced widely shared alarm at the use of poison
   gas in recent attacks in Japan, including on the Tokyo
   subway.

   "We are beginning to see terrifying signs of what the
   future could hold if we don't take strong action.
   Terrorists are now getting access to weapons of mass
   destruction, chemical weapons, biological weapons, even
   nuclear weapons," he said.

   "It's (a threat) that really has a doomsday quality unless
   we act now," he said.

   The United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan
   and Russia agreed that solving regional conflicts and
   stabilizing crisis areas was the best way to tackle the
   roots of terrorism.

   "There must be no safe havens," German Foreign Minister
   Klaus Kinkel said.

   The ministers agreed their experts would hold follow-up
   meetings to draft a new international convention to prevent
   the abuse of political asylum to plan, fund or commit
   terrorist acts and to coordinate security in public
   transport.

   Japan said it would hold an Asia-Pacific counter-terrorism
   seminar by next June including Asian and Latin American
   experts.

   [End]