Freeh Testimony 7/25/96

Carl Ellison cme at ACM.ORG
Tue Jul 30 19:55:32 PDT 1996

I wish someone had asked Freeh directly whether he granted, in saying:

>First and foremost, the law enforcement community fully supports a
>balanced encryption policy that satisfies both the commercial needs of
>industry and law abiding individuals for robust encryption products [...]

that law abiding industry and individuals have a legitimate need to keep
information private from the US government -- and especially the FBI.

|Carl M. Ellison   cme at acm.org     http://www.clark.net/pub/cme          |
|PGP: E0414C79B5AF36750217BC1A57386478 & 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2|
|  "Officer, officer, arrest that man!  He's whistling a dirty song."    |