Dry Under the Waterfall

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Jul 30 17:32:16 PDT 1996

Duncan Frissell writes:
> Now, even though the net is more graphical, it still lacks appeal for 95% of
> the population (or at least enough appeal to get them on to it).

Untrue, Duncan. Far more than 5% of the population is online already,
and the numbers are expanding rapidly. Soon even the semi-literate
will be on line, if only so they can get the latest pornography and
sports videos.

I agree, however, with your point that the "information have nots"
aren't going to be helped by any handout program. I have friends who
started out dirt poor using the Net from their fifth floor walkup
apartment in tenements in Hell's Kitchen with ancient used equipment,
and who now have decent jobs paying well over national average doing
-- what else -- net related work. Its entirely a question of personal
motivation.

Perry