Let's Say "No!" to Single, World Versions of Software

Arun Mehta amehta at giasdl01.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jul 30 13:08:24 PDT 1996

At 15:13 30/07/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>It is imperative that Netscape, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and the other players
>be pressured/urged/cajoled to commit to introducing strong, unescrowed
>crypto for the *domestic* versions, even if not for export versions.

I agree. Foreign buyers will look askance at software that is
"second grade" in security terms, just so the US government can
read their mail. This will encourage non-US software companies to
fill the vacuum, and US companies will get pissed off and pull
some strings in Washington.

Arun Mehta Phone +91-11-6841172, 6849103 amehta at cpsr.org
http://www.cerfnet.com/~amehta/  finger amehta at cerfnet.com for public key