A Libertine Question

Arun Mehta amehta at giasdl01.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jul 30 12:59:56 PDT 1996

At 16:42 29/07/96 CST, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

>typical 'liberal' solutions to social problems seem (at least to me) all
>centered around disallowing failure.
>I like to point out that evolution always requires multiple generations,
>and that when nothing dies, nothing evolves.

Just a thought...

Evolution also works better with a rich, diverse gene pool. If we
define "failure"
by the narrow standards of today's needs, and allow those who fail to die,
we may be left with people completely unequipped to cope with the radically
changed environments that future generations might face. "The first ones now
may later be last, for the times, they are a-changing."

BTW, have you read "Watership Down" by (forgot the first name) Adams? It
illustrates what I am trying to say rather well.

Arun Mehta Phone +91-11-6841172, 6849103 amehta at cpsr.org
http://www.cerfnet.com/~amehta/  finger amehta at cerfnet.com for public key