Terrorists are adult Kids?

The Deviant deviant at pooh-corner.com
Mon Jul 29 02:24:47 PDT 1996

- ----PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING DESCRIBED IN THIS POST IS A PARTICURLY GOOD IDEA----

On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 22:36:39 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Igor Chudov @ home" <ichudov at algebra.com>
> To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort at crl.com>
> Cc: cypherpunks at toad.com, scrm at manifold.algebra.com
> Subject: Terrorists are adult Kids?
>
> To: sandfort at crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
> Cc: cypherpunks at toad.com, scrm
> Subject: Terrorists are adult Kids?
>
> Sandy Sandfort wrote:
> > The Sunday San Francisco Examiner had an article about how simple
> > it is to make a pipe bomb.  It was syndicated from the Dallas
> > Morning News.  In the article a "federal bomb expert" opined:
> >
> > 	They're probably one of the more common explosive
> > 	devices that are encountered.  That's because the
> > 	pipe not only provides a container, but fragments
> > 	into sharapnel."                        ^^^^^^^^^
> > 	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Now I don't know what takes to qualify one as a "bomb expert,"
> > but the standards must be pretty low.  The reason hand grenades
> > look like pineapples is because it's very difficult to get metal
> > to fragment unless it is scored or otherwise predisposed to come
> > apart in little pieces.  What I've been told is that a pipe bomb
> > just peals open at it's weakest place and otherwise stays in one
> > piece.  Don't know, but that's what I've heard.  Makes sense to
> > me.
>
> It depends on the quality of metal the pipe is made from. If it
> has a lot of carbon the pipe indeed can split into small pieces.
> Also, as far as I remember, if you heat the pipe red and then throw it
> into water and repeat this process several times, the metal may
> become very fragile.

Well, yes, but not just that... The force (and indeed the type of
explosion) caused by a pipe bomb depends on several things, including (but
not limited to), the type of pipe, the type of explosives, and the
material used to seal the ends of the pipe.

Idealy you would use gauged copper pipe (copper bends, tears, etc,
comparitvly easy), with copper stopping at the end.  The stopping needs to
be the same material as the pipe,  or else there will be significantly
less gass-expansion when the bomb goes off (i.e., the end is the weekest
point, you've made a rather shitty shotgun).  One might also conceive of
using actuall explosives (C4, Semtex, plasticene) in a pipe bomb, rather
than the usual "matcheads and gunpowder" approach as suggested by many
"cookbooks".

> Also, nothing prevents you from making grenade-like marks on
> the pipes. It is very easy if you have the right instruments.
> While in high school in Russia, I was taught how to work with
> metal and indeed making these kind of marks is one of the most
> trivial exercises.

yes.  but for best results these "alterations" to the pipe must be of
uniform depth and spacing.

> BTW, almost all male kids in russia experiment with bomb-making,
> rocket-making, explosives and so on. Once I was going to school

I wouldn't limit that to Russia.  Every kid goes through their pyromaniacy
stage, its really just a question of how good they are at it ;)

> #57 in a tram and a small bomb exploded right in my school bag.
> It was made from Ammonium triiodide which is really unstable.
>
> Everyone in the tram was really surprised and I was really pissed off.

I'll bet.

> In the hindsight it was fairly dangerous and some of my friends were
> hurt by bombs. HOWEVER, I have a theory that males never really grow
> up and continue playing toys 'til they die. I think that guns are also
> male toys, by the way.

Hrmm.. that's a little extreme, dontcha think?

> So the idea is, maybe if kids play enough with explosives WHILE THEY ARE
> KIDS, they would get enough of it and would not continue playing with them
> when they grow up (and become more dangerous). Like, I myself pretty much
> lost interest in building explosive devices and rocketry after 18.

Hrmm... I've always lived in the US, and I lost interest in that sort of
thing when I was ~14...

> Since this country is too safe, kids do not get their share of danger
> and try to recoup it in adulthood. Which results in stupid terrorism.

Bullshit.

 --Deviant
The world is not octal despite DEC.