Schelling Points, Rights, and Game Theory--Part II

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Jul 27 17:20:59 PDT 1996

At 10:31 AM 7/25/96 EST, jbugden at smtplink.alis.ca wrote:
> Basically, in this view of rights and raising of children it would seem that a
> relativistic pragmatism prevails. Personally, I think that the two choices are
> either this relative pragmatism or an absolute morality.

The fact that someone is doing something that is morally wrong, does
not automatically give us the right to go and rectify it at gunpoint.

Not all wrongs are crimes, only those wrongs for which is just to
engage in violent retribution.

> Some implications of Tim's view is that all our rights are basically a
> transitory agreement between individuals.

Tim may or may not believe this, but that is not a consequence of his
views.  The schelling point theory of rights is substantially equivalent
in practice to "We hold these truths to be self evident."

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd at echeque.com