Game Theory and its Relevance to Cypherpunks

Jon Leonard jleonard at divcom.umop-ap.com
Sat Jul 27 17:16:17 PDT 1996

James A. Donald wrote:
> At 03:21 AM 7/21/96 -0700, Llywarch Hen wrote:
> > What Timothy May espouses is not the appearance of craziness but actual
> > insanity itself.
>
> The best way to convince others you are crazy is to actually be crazy.
>
> More practically, if you organize your nuclear forces so that any
> serious war is likely to escalate uncontrollably into the battle of
> armageddon, regardless of your intentions and desires, which is how
> the American government organized its nuclear forces in Europe,
> then you can pretty much guarantee you will not have to face a
> serious war.

This was, of course, the logic behind the alliances before World War I.
It was obviously suicidal to start a war with any of the major powers,
but it happened anyway.

Game theory is the proper tool to analyze this sort of scenario, but the
tendency for non-ideal behavior has to be factored in.  Brinksmanship
is another aspect of game theory, too...

Jon Leonard