Pie cutting algorithm

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sat Jul 27 12:19:25 PDT 1996

At 3:40 AM 7/27/96, Rollo Silver wrote:
>Tim May said:
><< ObCrypto Sidebar: The "fair" method for dividing a pie between two people

>I (RS) believe Claude Shannon proposed the following N-person pie-cutting
>algorithm more than 25 years ago:

Thanks!  I should've suspected that The Master had worked on this problem.

>Tim May: as a Licensed Ontologist, do you know who made the wiseassed (but
>deep) remark "Ontology recapitulates Philology"? or for that matter,
>"Oncology recapitulates Proctology".

No, but my friend Chip Morningstar pointed out that "ontology recapitulates
philately,"

(For those befuddled by these jokes, the biological original was "ontogeny
recapitulates phylogeny," which means that the morphological development of
a fetus in the womb retraces, or recapitulates, the morphological
development throughout history of the species, roughly. Thus, gills, fins,
etc.)

--Tim

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!