Fireworks expected, missed at Senate crypto hearing

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Sat Jul 27 12:12:18 PDT 1996

At 09:44 AM 7/27/96 -0700, Cerridwyn Llewyellyn wrote:

>>>more about terrorists. And Sen. Slate Gorton (R-Wash) jumped on the
>>>committee staff for leaning too far *away* from national security interests
>>>in their summary of the legislation.
>>
>>What does that mean?  As opposed to what?  (Gorton's my Senator, and I'm
>>going to give a little feedback to his local office...)
>
>(If you have Real-Audio capability, you can listen to the hearings at
>www.hotwired.com/wiredside).
>Basically he expressed his disappointment at the committee for having a
>biased view and having minds that were already made up regarding the issue,
>and he said he was beginning to lean towards the bill, but the attitude of
>the committee just might make him vote against it.
>He's my senator too and believe me he got some feedback! =)

I would not trust Slade Gordon as far as I can shoot him with a tree shreader.
Gordon was the CO-SPONSOR of the CDA.  Exon got all the press, but Gordon
was just as responsible.  (Maybe the netfolk ought to make that fact well
known when he comes up for re-election. Hint! Hint!)

Where issues of freedom are involved, I doubt if he is on our side.
---
Alan Olsen -- alano at teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."