Olympic bombing

Mike van der Merwe mikev at is.co.za
Sat Jul 27 10:37:51 PDT 1996

Hi all

I can just see the FBI screaming "we need weaker encryption to combat
terrosism on US soil" with nasty effects -- it seems all to many people,
lawmakers included, will be only to happy to sacrifice their privacy that
the FBI can better combat these terrorist acts (which could *of course*
could been prevented had only the FBI been able to read their encrypted
mail...)

Somehow I got the feeling watching CNN that the FBI was given a shitload
of ammo. Call me cynical but the Reichstag fire comes to mind...

Later
Mike

"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)