AP on Crypto Hearing

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Jul 26 13:24:59 PDT 1996

   7-25-96. The Associated Press:

   Computer Codes May Aid Crime

   Washington -- FBI Director Louis Freeh warned Congress on
   Thursday that allowing uncontrolled export of U.S. computer
   security codes may help international criminals and
   terrorists hide their activities from law enforcement.

   "Encryption products used unchecked by criminals and
   terrorists for their illegal activities pose an extremely
   serious and, I believe, unacceptable threat," Freeh told
   the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

   Legislation pending in the Senate would permit U.S.
   companies to export high-tech encryption devices that
   ensure greater privacy for computer files, electronic mail
   messages and systems such as stock exchange transactions.

   Sponsors said the bill would "help America maintain our
   superiority in software development" and guard against
   unwarranted government intrusion.

   "It is irrelevant that we can make a better product if we
   cannot sell it," said Sen. John Ashcroft, R-Mo., one of the
   sponsors.

   The Clinton administration has proposed that encryption
   exports be allowed only if a decoding "key" for the devices
   is left with a third party -- such as a bank or insurance
   company -- so that law enforcement personnel with a court
   order could break the code, if necessary.

   Freeh said such an arrangement would safely open profitable
   foreign markets for U.S. software companies. The Internet,
   he said, "was never intended as a place without police
   officers. We need cops there, as we do elsewhere, to
   protect people, to guard their rights."

   The encryption codes available today are so powerful, Freeh
   said, that it would take the FBI more than a year to decode
   a single message in some cases. Ramzi Yousef, on trial in
   New York on charges of plotting to bomb a dozen U.S.
   airliners, used a laptop computer containing files the FBI
   still hasn't been able to decode, he added.

   Sponsors and industry officials noted, however, that many
   of these devices are already available abroad, and anyone
   can download them free from the Internet. They can also be
   sold within the United States at local computer stores.

   "The criminal element the administration is trying to
   prevent from obtaining this technology already has it,"
   said Roel Pieper, president of Tandem Computers Inc. "The
   only ones who suffer as a result of this policy is the U.S.
   industry."

   Netscape Communications Corp. President Jim Barksdale
   estimated his company will lose $40 million this year in
   potential export sales for encryption products.

   But a top official at the National Security Agency -- whose
   job is to break secret codes -- said the encryption "genie
   is not out of the bottle." NSA Deputy Director William
   Crowell said encryption won't be widely used until it is
   marketed and sold, with support to help people use it.

   "The administration's proposal is not designed to keep the
   plug in the bottle, but to help provide a full range of
   trusted security services," Crowell said.

   Industry executives also said use of the decoding keys
   would be costly and raises questions about government
   access to private business and personal information, such
   as bank and medical records.

   "Keys can be compromised in many ways. They can be stolen,
   revealed by disgruntled employees or obtained through
   bribery, Pieper said.

   -----