Twenty Bank Robbers -- Game theory:)

Frank Willoughby frankw at in.net
Fri Jul 26 08:59:58 PDT 1996

>> Twenty cypherpunks robbed a bank. They took 20 million bucks. Here's
>> how they plan to split the money: they stay in line, and the first guy
>> suggests how to split the money. Then they vote on his suggestion. If
>> 50% or more vote for his proposal, his suggestion is adopted.
>> Otherwise they kill the  first robber and now it is the turn of guy #2
>> to make another splitting proposal. Same voting rules apply.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that first person in
line (#1) would say propose that the first 11 people in line each receive
a split of 1/11 of the 20 million and that since this doesn't come out
exactly even, that he (#1) would make up the few cents difference out of
his share (a small price to pay to keep alive).

This would probably get the votes of the first 11 people.
Results:
o First 11 people split the money (last 9 get zip)
o All live.

Best Regards,

Frank
	-- Rich Kulawiec

<standard disclaimer>
The opinions expressed above are of the author and may not
necessarily be representative of Fortified Networks Inc.

Fortified Networks Inc. - Information Security Consulting
http://www.fortified.com     Phone: (317) 573-0800     FAX: (317) 573-0817
Home of the Free Internet Firewall Evaluation Checklist