IP: NSA RESPONSE TO KEY LENGTH REPORT

Mike Duvos mpd at netcom.com
Fri Jul 26 04:34:35 PDT 1996

Matt Blaze <mab at research.att.com> writes:

 > Finally, the NSA report offers estimates of the time
 > required to perform exhaustive search using a Cray model T3D
 > supercomputer.  This is a curious choice, for as our report
 > notes, general-purpose supercomputers of this type make poor
 > (and uneconomical) key search engines.

A tiny nit to pick here.  The Cray T3D and T3E computers are
massively parallel machines consisting of DEC Alpha chips hooked
up in a 3D Torus configuration.  They would probably make pretty
decent key search engines, as opposed to the general purpose
vector supercomputers Cray is better known for.

 > Table 3 are out estimates based on our experience with a
 > Cray T3D supercomputer with 1024 nodes.  This machine costs
 > $30 million.

 > [Tables 1, 2, and 3 not transcribed here.]

You left out the most interesting part!

     mpd at netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $