Fireworks expected, missed at Senate crypto hearing

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri Jul 26 03:52:37 PDT 1996

At 09:19 PM 7/25/96 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>Just more of the same, though we heard less about child pornographers and
>more about terrorists. And Sen. Slate Gorton (R-Wash) jumped on the
>committee staff for leaning too far *away* from national security interests
>in their summary of the legislation.

What does that mean?  As opposed to what?  (Gorton's my Senator, and I'm
going to give a little feedback to his local office...)

>The FBI's Louis Freeh kept mouthing the same tired old line: "No reasonable
>person can envision a lawless information superhighway."

I guess that makes me an unreasonable person!

> "It was never meant to be that."

Well, that's just the problem...for _him_!  Sometimes actions lead to
hard-to-predict outcomes.

>We need cops there, as we need them elsewhere. The problem is
>the proliferation of unbreakable encryption." He said it's "not too late"
>to stop the spread.

Wishful thinking!  Not only is it too late now, it was too late with Clipper
I was proposed.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com