Schelling Points, Rights, and Game Theory--Part II

jbugden at smtplink.alis.ca jbugden at smtplink.alis.ca
Thu Jul 25 20:57:30 PDT 1996

If crypto is going to become widespread, at some point it will need to enter the
mainstream consciousness. We have already discussed the issue of "getting the
word out" about GAK in comparison to video cameras in every home. "If people
understood the issue, they would never accept GAK..."

The stats on the average internet user are usually something like 85% male,
US$50K average income, 30-35 years old, Univeristy education.

It may come as no suprise then that Internet users as a group could have life
experiences significantly different than a majority of the population.
Similarily, their views may also be in the minority. On the other hand, they do
hold a majority of the technological power.

Revenge of the Nerds is one phrase that I have heard.

tcmay at got.net wrote:
>Even meant humorously (">;-)"), many of us would dispute the notion that >a
voluntarily-taken job is a "McJob." Frankly, working at a fast-food place
>is usually not a lifetime career, but is instead a [stepping stone]

And what or who guarantees that this later, better job exists. Much of what I
read today suggests that McJobs may become the norm for many.

>>jbugden at alis.com
>>As soon as those with power are not able to see a situation where they >>could
become like those without power, there will cease to be motivation >>to maintain
a "safety net" of rights or economic means to protect the >>"losers" of our
society.

>What are "those without power"?

Can you image working at a low paying job for your entire life. I personally
can't. I work hard and am doing well for myself. Like most of those here, crypto
would be a benefit for me. On the other hand, unlike most of the population, I
could join Mensa if I applied. My point: I'm not average and I suspect that
neither are you or most of those here. How do you make the cypherpunks agenda
(on the days that there is one ;-) of widespread concern to the average citizen?

>The best way to help the "losers" of our economy is to allow voluntary
>economic relationships to be formed.

I always thought that feudalism was a voluntary economic arrangement. The
vassals pledged allegiance and offered their labour while the feudal lord
pledged protection. Here is where Phil could give better examples.

If we are not prepared to maintain some lowest common denominator (a.k.a. safety
net), what will keep our individual freedoms intact if the concerns of the
"average" citizen drift unchecked towards simple survival?

I'm having a hell of a time getting my e-mail read because I'm too busy shooting
at the food scavengers. They killed my dog!

James