My Cypherpunk Patriotism

Joey Grasty jgrasty at gate.net
Wed Jul 24 18:46:07 PDT 1996

Y'all:

I received the following fan mail today, in regards to my
announcement of the WinSock Remailer.  In my announcement, I
noted that I have blocked the Church of Scientology discussion
groups alt.religion.scientology and alt.clearing.technology.
The author shall remain anonymous:

> Please make your blocking configurable in a text file that
> the remailer reads at startup time.  Other people who install
> your remailer may not feel the need to surrender to
> the Church of Scientology's legal terrorism the way you have.

Anyone who has checked my webpage (http://www.c2.net/~winsock/)
knows that the blocking lists are entirely up to the user.

Let me state clearly that I'm just not interested in the Church
of Scientology, its supporters or detractors.  My interest is
in writing remailers and seeing that the remailers are widely
distributed.  If I involve myself in this COS mess, then I'm
distracting myself from my mission, which is writing remailers.

Fighting "wars" is for the young and strong.  Think of me as
a weapons designer.  I build the weapons, someone else fights
the wars.  Freedom needs weapons designers and warriors.

That is my version of "Cypherpunk Patriotism".

I offered my detractor a copy of the remailer so that he can
run his own remailer and fight his war with COS.  Let's see if
he puts up or shuts up.  My guess is the latter.

Regards,

--
Joey Grasty
jgrasty at gate.net [home -- encryption, privacy, RKBA and other hopeless causes]