Brute Force attack Question (basic)

Joel Morgan morgan at keilin.helsinki.fi
Wed Jul 24 18:33:20 PDT 1996

Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Igor Chudov writes:
> > What is Alice and Bob decide to obscure their letters and add random
> > NON-ASCII  characters at random places?
>
> Assuming I'm using a statistics based technique, that won't help.

Some fairly basic questions:

1) Is a statistical test like this done on the net composition of the
   whole message or locally, point by point throughout the text (for
   example, using a window)?

2) If what's tested is the net composition of the message, could you
   choose padding to normalize a message back to an apparently random
   distribution?

3) What kind of computation overhead does this statistical testing
   impose (compared to what would be needed for a known-plaintext
   search)?

Thanks,

Joel/

Joel.Morgan at Helsinki.FI              http://blues.helsinki.fi/~morgan

    "Over the mountains there are mountains."   -- Chang-rae Lee