Distributed DES crack

talon57 at well.com talon57 at well.com
Wed Jul 24 17:08:31 PDT 1996

Matt Blaze scribes:

>My estimate is that an FPGA-based machine that can do a single DES
>key every four months (eight months to exhaust the whole keyspace)
>could be built with off-the-shelf stuff for comfortably under $50k
>(plus labor, plus software development costs).  A prototype board
>should cost under $1000 and will help prove the concept and get a
>more accurate cost estimate.  I expect to build such a prototype
>machine myself, and, if it works as I expect, maybe the whole
>thing.

>-matt

If the price is reasonable, I for one would be willing to donate
the bucks for a FPGA chip or two to see this get built:

| Chip donated by  |
| talon57 at well.com |

The very existance of this device in the real world would make our
point better than anything I've yet heard.

Imagine being at a hearing and having the physical device sitting
there before the judges......

Brian