Brute Force attack Question

Igor Chudov ichudov at galaxy.galstar.com
Wed Jul 24 12:27:37 PDT 1996

Hello,

I've been thinking about brute force attacks, and there is something
that I do not understand. Maybe someone could explain me where I am
wrong.

Suppose Alice sends letters to BoB, and they always exchange plain
text ASCII data. Suppose also that they use DES for encryption.
They are afraid that Perry intercepts their messages and tries to brute
force their DES key.

Perry has 100,000 computers (and 20,000 couriers alone:) and his brute
force attacks are as follows: he tries all keys in succession, looks at
the decrypted texts, and *if* the decrypted text looks like a potential
message (has only ASCII characters for example) he looks at that key closer
as it is likely that he has found the right key.

What is Alice and Bob decide to obscure their letters and add random
NON-ASCII  characters at random places? They may agree to just ignore
all non-ASCII characters, so these characters would never change the
meaning of their letters. If they do that, Perry does not have any easy
way to tell whether he really recovered the right plaintext or not, because
even correct key would still produce a lot of non-ASCII characters.

If percentage of ASCII characters in all 256 byte space is 40%, Alice
and Bob may agree to put in junk characters to make up exactly 60% of
the message. This way messages will look like random character data.

Is there any good method for attackers to circumvent this obscurity?
What is the general method to make a judgment whether the recovered
text really is a plain text if Alice and Bob noisify their letters?

I can think of this: we sift through all recovered plaintexts and remove
all non-ASCII bytes, and then do some simple testing to see whether
the remaining ASCII data resembles normal English texts. This kind
of testing seems to be quite expensive though, compared to just testing
for ASCII vs. non-ascii bytes. Anything else I am missig?

Thanks.

	- Igor.