Bare fibers

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Wed Jul 24 05:51:25 PDT 1996

At 03:20 AM 7/23/96 -0400, Rabid Wombat wrote:

>> Doesn't that make it vulnerable (detectable) to Tempest attacks?

>No.
>Transmitting light via fiber doesn't emit EM.
>Anyway, the original post, as I recall, was about keeping sensitive data
>on a second hard drive, connected via (very thin, therefore harder to
>notice) fiber. Tempest monitoring was not a factor.

It occurs to me that a bare fiber could actually be (randomly) hung across
treetops, roofs, power lines, and various other structures, over a
many-block distance in suburban areas.    Such a fiber wouldn't be protected
very well, but it would probably last a few months.  It would also be
exceedingly hard to find its terminations, and tracing it would be a real
pain.  (It probably wouldn't be visible against a bright sky more than a
meter or two away.)

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com