Distributed DES crack

Dave Koontz koontz at netapp.com
Wed Jul 24 05:19:08 PDT 1996

>I'd like to see a very general hardware processing power equivalence table.
>For example, 1 MasPar equals how many Pentiums.

One MasPar MP2 (4K processors) could run 300,000 crypt(3) crack attempts
per second (a password checker).  That should give you 6 or 7 million
brute force key attempts per second.

Unfortunately the only way to show an equivalance for a particular problem
is to have both machines work on the same problem.  (Perhaps we could manage
to break a DES key in the course of executing a new benchmark?)