Question

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Wed Jul 24 04:29:30 PDT 1996

At 9:25 PM 7/23/96, pjn at nworks.com wrote:
>OK...A question for you all:
>
>  If it is illegal (by our governments standards...) to export programs
>like PGP, etc., and you can send the whole source code in a message
>because that is also considered illegal, then could you send the code,
>broken up into many pieces, and send THAT in Email, would that be
>illegal?

I don't think this has been spelled-out clearly in the ITARs, much less
tested in court, but the intent is clearly to subvert the ITARS.

Isomorphic to shipping out a piece of military hardware in pieces, wouldn't
you say?

And don't forget the "structuring" laws regarding the reporting of cash
transactions over $10K.

I don't think this has much promise.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!