Bare fibers

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Tue Jul 23 20:28:34 PDT 1996

At 12:30 AM 7/23/96 -0500, Douglas R. Floyd wrote:

>>  * Carbons sent to: In: jimbell at pacifier.com
>>
>>  -=> Quoting In:jimbell at pacifier.com to Harka <=-
>>
>>  In> The fiber is usually  coated with a very thin layer of clear plastic to
>>  In> protect against moisture  and abrasion, and the diameter  is around 0.5
>>  In> to 1.0 millimeters in diameter.
>>

>> Doesn't that make it vulnerable (detectable) to Tempest attacks?
>
>Not really sure how.  I have had heard of ways to tap a fibre optic link
>noninvasively, but its not related to Van Eck or anything like that.

You could break the fiber and add a repeater (if you know enough about the
light protocol).  Plastic fiber can be cut with a pocket knife, glass
requires a machine which will make a square cut and polish the end.  Those
machines are not yet cheap.

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA