Brute Force DES

Ryan Russell/SYBASE Ryan.Russell at sybase.com
Tue Jul 23 18:17:07 PDT 1996

How about harder logistical problem?

I had considered the possibility of cracking DES
once and for all (I was specifically thinking of
crypt(3), but it applies just as well for
DES in general..) and instead of trying up a bunch
of computers for however many months it took to crack
a single key...  Let's tie up everyone's extra storage
and store the results as each key is generated..

Yes, I realize that it's a rather large amount of storage...

Then key lookups could be done at will, reverse DNS
style..

    Ryan