Brute Force DES

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Tue Jul 23 17:00:05 PDT 1996

At 12:41 AM 7/23/96 -0800, jim bell wrote:
>Not that I think that such a dedicated chip necessarily exists; chances are
>good that there isn't all that much demand for a 12-megabyte/second
>encryptor.

If you are running a 600 megabit/sec ATM/SONET link and want to encrypt it,
you are in the market for a 75 megabyte/sec encryptor.

As for dedicated crackers, according to my notes from the SAFE forum at
Stanford, Eric Thompson said his company made FPGAs for cracking DES.  A
seven day crack for $1 million.

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA