Netscape

Raph Levien s_levien at research.att.com
Tue Jul 23 11:41:25 PDT 1996

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Jeff Weinstein wrote:

>   I don't like the fact that your proposal ties the size of the
> bulk encryption key to the size of the public modulus.  There
> are legitimate reasons why someone might choose to have a 512
> bit modulus even though they prefer longer bulk encryption keys.
> Your heuristic would be a good fallback in the absence of more
> reliable information.

   I agree. My proposal certainly has its limitations. In addition to the
one you cite, it will make it very difficult to change away from
Triple-DES when the time comes.

   Of course, your hypothetical user who wants to use a 512-bit key and
128-bit RC2 is still completely screwed by all currently shipping S/MIME
products, as well as the S/MIME spec.

>   There is another method that does not require verisign or other
> CAs to add key size extensions to their certs.  We can define
> a new authenticated attribute that gets included in Signed-Data
> and Signed-And-Enveloped-Data messages that indicates the
> user's key size and algorithm preference.  This has the advantage
> that the preference is selected and signed by the user.  This
> method was discussed at the S/MIME meeting in January at the
> RSA Crypto conference.  I'm a bit surprised that it never
> got into the Implementation Guide.  I'll make sure that
> we bring it up on the smime list again.

   I don't like the fact that your proposal leaves clients with absolutely
no information about symmetric cipher choice until the first round of
signed messages has been exchanged. In this initial round, the protocol is
still dependent on the global default.

   I'm not surprised that it didn't make it to the implementation guide.
Most of the people involved in S/MIME do not have a strong background in
security and do not understand the importance of this issue. In addition,
I suspect that there is a lot of resistance based simply on the added
implementation costs.

   I have no evidence that the protocol weaknesses in S/MIME are being
deliberately encouraged by the NSA, but on the other hand, I have no
evidence that they're not. It would certainly be consistent with tactics
that the organization has been known to use. But on the other hand, "never
ascribe to malice..."

>   What we finally implement will probably be a combination of
> the three methods, with the user's selection taking precedence
> over the CAs selection, which takes precedence over the
> heuristic based on modulus size.

   This approach is fine. If that's what you implement, you have my
blessing.

Raph

P.S. Can we agree not to describe 128-bit RC2 as "strong crypto" until
it's been subject to more serious scrutiny? It's probably a great cypher,
but most cautious crypto-people would far rather place their trust in
Triple-DES.