CDT Policy Post 2.28 - FBI Director to Testify at Senate Crypto Hearing

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Sun Jul 21 23:47:24 PDT 1996

At 11:15 PM 7/21/96 -0400, Shabbir J. Safdar wrote:

>I would disagree with you here jim.  Perhaps you have a selective memory,
>but representatives from all the organizations attended the Clipper II
>hearings at NIST in Maryland and gave the pro-GAK folks a good drubbing.
>(with NIST's microphone too.  They're such good sports...)
>
>Person after person got up at the first of those (and subsequent ones) and
>grilled representatives from the FBI, NSA, NIST, and the White House.
>The ACLU, EPIC, EFF, CDT, and VTW were all there and pitched in.  Somehow

Okay, I should remember "never say never."  However, wasn't Clipper II about
a year ago?  They're a little gun shy if they haven't arranged something
since then.  I guess that's progress.

In any case, a gentle reminder:  I think you should withdraw the official
position you originally publicized concerning the Leahy encryption bill.
Fair enough?

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com