Netscape

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 21 04:28:42 PDT 1996

At 11:10 PM 7/20/96 -0400, "Mark M." <markm at voicenet.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Tom Weinstein wrote:
>> Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
>> believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?
>
>The government has yet to enforce ITAR.  The only thing they have been doing
>is threatening companies who make products with strong crypto.  If anyone was
>ever actually put on trial for a violation of ITAR, it would almost certainly
>be found to be unconstitutional.

First of all, the goverrnment _has_ enforced ITAR; I've seen references
(ummm, on the net...) to a few cases of things like exporting TV decryptors,
as well as all the enforcement about illegal trafficking in guns and such.

But second, if you're threatened with jail and large fines, and have
to pay your lawyers lots of money to avoid being railroaded,
that's enforcement even if it's not the full-scale due process type.

#				Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# http://www.idiom.com/~wcs
#				Confuse Authority!