Netscape

Tom Weinstein tomw at netscape.com
Sat Jul 20 18:20:20 PDT 1996

Anonymous wrote:

> Rich Graves wrote:
>> [on hacktic]
>>> netscape-fts2-hp10.tar.gz    Fast Track Server 2.0 for HPUX10
>>> netscape-fts2-nt.exe         Fast Track Server 2.0 for WinNT
>>> netscape-hpus-30b5.tar.gz    Navigator 3.0b5 for HP-UX
>>> netscape-linux-30b5.tar.gz   Navigator 3.0b5 for Linux
>>> netscape-ssl30-src.tar.gz    SSL 3.0 source code
>>> netscape32us-30b5.exe        Navigator 3.0b5 for Win95/NT
>>
>> And thus it begins... I think it's a bad idea to provoke the TLAs
>> like this, but I suppose it's inevitable.
>
> Why is it a bad idea? If you don't do it, you support the ITAR
> by your lack of action! Every day that you don't export strong
> crypto you assist the enemy.

Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?  Do you
believe it will make them change the law?  No.  What it will do is make
them remove our permission to distribute this stuff.

As for your claim that not breaking the law supports it, I must remind
you that Jim Barksdale has testified before congress on several
occasions about how braindead ITAR is.  Just because we don't fight it
the way you want us to doesn't mean we support it.

>> (But doesn't anyone use Macs or Suns?)
>
> Mac download didn't work yesterday. The download page doesn't
> say if the Solaris versions are for Sparc or Intel (they are
> different and incompatible binaries, aren't they?).

A lot of people have been downloading the Mac version.  What was the
problem you were having?  If you're not seeing the NoCookie problem,
please try again.  I think we've got most of the other problems licked.
The Solaris versions are for Sparc.

>> Besides, it's a Serious Copyright Violation, said with minimal
>> irony. This whole thing isn't Netscape's fault; in fact, they're
>> doing their best to be the good guys.
>
> Do you Seriously Believe that Netscape would prefer foreigners
> to develop and use competing products? Of course not. They are
> probably secretly applauding the brave exporters.

You are wrong.  We are worried that our permission to provide these
products will be withdrawn.  If we could do it legally, we'd let anyone
download it who wants it.  But we can't.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw at netscape.com