Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sat Jul 20 15:37:18 PDT 1996

Arun Mehta writes:
> >It may sound "stupid" to you...I suggest you read up on evolutionary game
> >theory. Sometimes one has no choice but to respond to an arms buildup.
> >Unilateral disarmament rarely works.
>
> There are surely alternatives to the extremes of unilateral
> disarmament and an arms race? For instance, slowing down  the
> race?

Don't ask the question as though it is theoretical. Don't try
answering it as though your personal values have any bearing, because
there is indeed an objective answer here. Try doing some game theory
simulations and see how well unilateral disarmament works.

Oh, and don't give us stuff about how humans are above evolutionary
pressures or nonsense like that, because we aren't any more above such
pressures than we are above the laws of physics.

Perry