[Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi's

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Sat Jul 20 14:02:57 PDT 1996

At 08:31 AM 7/20/96 -0400, Brad Dolan wrote:

>> Would you just hand out guns to all teenagers?
>
>My twelve-year-old daughter asked for and received a .22 for her birthday.
>Her four and six year old siblings enjoy shooting it, under close
>supervision.

I learned how to shoot very young.  My father taught me, as well as
enrolling me in NRA competitions around age 14.  They still have high school
rifle teams where I used to live as well.  But then the culture is quite
different towards guns in Alaska than it is here...  (For one, people do not
view them as toys and/or possessed by evil spirits or the like...)

>Rural America has a very different culture than urban America and urban
>America's recent attempts to impose its values (like hoplophobia) on us
>really chafes.

I bet the "National Curfew" crap that Clinton is trying to push is not going
down well either.  He seems to think that the problems of a small fraction
of the country apply to the whole country...  (But it makes for good sound
bites.)
---
Alan Olsen -- alano at teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."