American People the relation to the Police

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sat Jul 20 02:59:33 PDT 1996

At 1:38 AM 7/20/96, Jim Choate wrote:

>I disagree. This country fought two wars of liberation (you forgot about
>1812) and a civil war to discredit this thesis in relation to a Democracy
>founded upon individual liberty. It is no coincidence that the Tree of Liberty

Well, to many of us, the wrong side won the War of the Rebellion (aka the
Civil War, aka the War Between the States, etc.).  A bunch of southern
states wanted to seceed, which my reading of the founding documents said
was clearly an option if sentiment was strong enough in that direction.

Constitutional scholars of course debate this, and I've seen arguments that
the documents eventually agreed to in 1789-90 in some ways undercut this
"right" to seceed. I think this to be untrue, and that the signers of the
Declaration and of the Constitution would be surprised to learn that they
were signing a one-way, unreversible, no way out document, binding their
communities to be part of the United States of America forever, even if
their populace clearly wants out.

So, the wrong side won.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!