US versions of Netscape now available

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Jul 18 14:10:47 PDT 1996

David Sternlight writes:
> >I'm glad too.  So how many minutes did it take to leak overseas?
>
> It doesn't "leak overseas" as if there were some regrettable lapse in the
> plumbing. Someone has to commit a felony violation of Federal law.

Yes, just like its a crime to smoke grass, or have sex with someone
you aren't married to in half the states in the union. Of course, we
all know that the truth is that other than bluenose fools like David
Sternlight, most people in society have accepted that the government
is just plain stupid and happily go on doing what they would do
anyway.

David serves, however, as a useful reminder of the fact that there are
people out there who were so badly conditioned in childhood that they
are unable to disagree with authority no matter how badly they would
like to. I suspect that if a sufficiently highly placed government
official told David to strip naked and have sex with a dog in public
and phrased it as an order, he would do it, even though he would find
the act repugnant.

Luckily, after the revolution, the private sector will open centers to
help people like David get over their inability to function without
authority figures telling them what to do. Since the private sector
has high incentives not to waste money, unlike government sponsored
programs we can expect David and others like him to eventually become
useful members of society.

Perry